Saturday, April 20, 2013

Red Snappers Purchased and Installed

I made the plunge this week and puchased some Red Snappers for my long arm.  I am so tired of pinning quilts onto the longarm.  It's time consuming and I keep pricking my fingers.  I've been contemplating a quilt loading system for about a year now and decided on the Red Snappers based on reading reviews from others.  It was also much easier to determine the size needed and I loved her videos on how to install and use the Red Snappers.

I've also been contemplating buying new leaders for my Ulimate I longarm for about a year now.  After loading a quilt I would find that one edge of the quilt would be taught while the other edge of the quilt would sag a bit.  The canvas seems to be a loose weave which allows quite bit of play.   To top it off they are not the same width.  So finding the center point is an issue.  After writing out all the issues with my leaders I don't know why I haven't changed them yet.  Anyways, I decided that I would keep them for now and see if I could square them up when I installed the Red Snappers.  You have to sew a sleeve to hold the rod and I figured I could make one end of the sleeve slightly larger on the side that sags.  In the process of doing this I found that the leader used for the quilt top was the one off of square.  Which is perfect because I'm considering taking that one off and floating my tops anyways.  As for the different width leaders, I sewed tape measures on the two leaders according to the directions on the Red Snapper web page.  I think this will really help me ensure the quilt is on the leaders and frame square.



Now it's time to get sewing and finish a quilt top so I can try out those Red Snappers!

No comments:

Post a Comment