Saturday, January 2, 2010

1/2/2010

It's the new year and it's the time for reflection. For both the highs and lows. I remember this time last year taking a look at the calendar and telling friends and co-workers that 2009 was going to be a perfect year. Pretty bold statement, I know. A little like throwing a challenge to fate asking to be proven wrong. I prefer to look at it as stating how I was going to handle this upcoming year.



2009 was going to be perfect at work because the holidays were really set up perfectly to have a maximum number of 3 day weekends. Think about it.... 4th of July, Christmas, New Years..... Perfect! But it wasn't destined to be perfect just because of that. I had been promoted in 2008 and had just started to feel comfortable in my new role. I was, and still am, the Inorganic Department Manager at the environmental testing laboratory I work for. My new direct supervisor, the Laboratory Manager, is a dream to work for. I'm truly blessed to have him as a mentor. He gives me the freedom to put my ideas into action. He liberally praises my successes and coaches me through my failures without beating me up. They are all opportunities for improvement. I had a lot of ideas and changes to put into action.



In my personal life, 2009 was set up to be perfect with the addition of my first grandchild. My oldest daughter was due in May. Her husband is a Marine and was deployed to Afghanistan, so she came home to have her baby here. I got to be in the delivery room when Kadence was born. Perfect! My son-in-law made it back in September whole and healthy. Perfect!



My youngest stepson was set to graduate high school in May. So he was off to college in the fall. He is the last one out of the house. Jeff and I were empty Nester's. A little sad, but perfect! The whole house was ours to do with as we pleased.



In January of 2009, I had purchased a used longarm quilting machine. I had been researching and watching for one for about 6 months. I finally found one for a price I could swallow. It's an APQS Ultimate I. After quilting under a domestic sewing machine for all these years, it's a dream to have. My quilting life was starting off perfect! I even had several quilts ready to load. The first one was an art quilt that my youngest daughter, Courtney helped me finish designing over Christmas break. I was amazed how quickly I was able to finish the quilting. I called it "The Colors of my Dreams"



So.... here it is the beginning of a new year. As I reflect over the past year, there were a lot of 'perfect' moments. For each perfect moment there were also some disappointing moments if I had chosen to focus on them. I believe that for the most part, most of life can either be disappointing or perfect. It's all in where you place your focus.



Here's to another Perfect Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment